www.mastershandsdeafchurch.org

Friday, May 29, 2009

Graduation

Please let me take a few moments to share some news from the past couple days. Brenda, Kayla, and I returned today from graduation at Bethany Seminary in Dothan, Alabama. God, once again, and as always has shown Himself as the glorious, mighty, loving, and all powerful creator of the universe. He is worthy of praise and honor in all things and in all ways.

Yesterday, May 28, I graduated from Bethany with a Master of Arts Degree in Religion – Theology. This is part one of a two part Masters Degree program. The second part of the program is next and that is a Master of Theological Studies. I should graduate from that program in two years. The next step after that is a Doctorate in Theological Studies in two more years.

There were two surprises at graduation. First, I was one of ten students who graduated “summa cum laude.” This is Latin and is defined as, “With Highest Honor.” I was able to complete my program with a 4.0 grade point average.

The second surprise was a special award. Bethany has their main campus in Dothan, Alabama. Bethany also has extension campuses in Albany, GA; Newfoundland, Canada; and South Korea. Each year there are four students chosen, one from each campus, to receive an award called “The Spirit of Bethany.” Imagine my surprise when my name was called for the Alabama campus award. I later asked how I had been chosen. I was told it is for students who go above and beyond in their coursework, their involvement in ministry, and their commitment to spread the Gospel.

While I am truly honored and humbled to have achieved these things, I must say that God is the one who directed and controlled all of it. The honors and achievements are meant to be used to glorify and honor God. Many people see graduation as the end of something. But really graduation is not the end of a program, but the beginning of a ministry. The degree, the education, the honors, and the awards give me confidence to continue to provide the best ministry possible in the name of Jesus Christ. The Apostle Paul says he had education, honors, and awards. I stand with Paul when I say that the honors, education, and praise are nice, but they are meaningless in comparison with knowing and serving Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.

Thank you for allowing me the honor of being the Lay Pastor at The Deaf Church at Cornerstone and allowing me the honor of ministering with you in other ministries with which we are involved. You and your encouragement continue to bless me daily and I praise and thank God each day for each and every one of you.

Please set aside Friday, June 5, 2009 at 6pm. We are having a “Light Your Fire for Jesus” end of week Friday evening after work after school time of fellowship. We will start around 6pm. We are planning a campfire for roasting hot dogs and marshmallows. We are planning games. We are planning some good old-fashioned fellowship.

I hope to see you there. If you have questions please email me at johnb1090@comcast.net or I can be reached VP at 810-515-8528.

God Bless you all. I look forward to seeing you Friday evening.