www.mastershandsdeafchurch.org

Monday, July 5, 2010

Deaf Devotion 7/5/2010

Psalm 121:1-2 "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."

It is a holiday weekend here in the United States. Let me ask you this. When you stand for the National Anthem or say the Pledge of Allegiance do you still put your hand on your heart? I was taught to do it and still do it with pride. I was surprised recently at those who do not. It also makes me sad.

I have heard people say that it takes one person to make a change. I would like to respectfully disagree. It takes two. It takes us AND God. Without God nothing is successful. But it must start with us and we must include God.

In preparing for yesterday’s sermon, I came across this:

In his book “The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire,” completed in 1787, British historian and Member of Parliament Edward Gibbon lists the he thought the Roman Empire failed.

1. The rapid increase of divorce; the weakening of dignity and sacredness of the home, which is the basis of human society.
2. Higher and higher taxes and the spending of public money for free bread and circuses for the people.
3. The mad craze for pleasure; sports becoming every year more exciting and more brutal.
4. The building of gigantic armaments when the real enemy was within: the corruption of the people.
5. The decay of religion—faith fading into mere form—losing touch with life and becoming impotent to guide the people.

Does that sound like something we are experiencing today? But wait, there’s more.

On a typical day in this country:
- 5,962 couples marry and 2,986 divorce
- drunk drivers do $18 million worth of damage
- 90 million cans of beer are consumed
- 2,740 teenagers get pregnant
- 63,288 cars crash killing 129 people
- 3,231 women have abortions

What’s our hope? Not in government. Not in the military. And not even in the genius of Americans, if they are any! Here is our only hope:

Psalm 121:1-2 (NLT) “I lift up my eyes to the hills—where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.”

What do we need to do help turn America around? There is no magic solution to save America. To save America we must share the Gospel. We must share the Good News of salvation in Jesus Christ.

We must repent. “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV)
If people cannot see Christ through us in what we do, then we can’t expect anyone else to do what God expects. We have to set the right example for others to follow. Even Paul said “Imitate me in the ways that I imitate Christ.” (1Corinthians 11:1 KJV) Or in other words, “Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.”

We must pray and always have an attitude that is ready to pray. “I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity.” (1 Timothy 2:1-2 NLT)
When we pray and ask of the Lord. He will do things that we cannot do! And we need to ask Him to do something in America! We need to pray for our leaders, if nothing else we must pray for them to come to their senses and seek the Lord!

We must be people that show trust in God. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.” (Proverbs 3:5-6 NLT)
We obey God in what He has already planned. Then we trust that He will work out the details. God knows what He s doing and He knows far better what is best than you and me know what is best.

We must tell others about Jesus Christ. The Institute for American Church Growth asked over 10,000 people this question: “What was responsible for your coming to Christ and this church?” This is how they replied:
(1) I had a special need 2%
(2) I just walked in 3%
(3) I like the Minister 6%
(4) I visited there 1%
(5) I like the Sunday school 5%
(6) I attended a Revival service 1/2 of 1%
(7) I liked the programs 3%
(8) A friend or relative invited me 79%

Acts 8:4 says of the early Christians: “Those who had been scattered preached the word wherever they went.”

Can we do less than they did? I really think Christians in America have lost this passion for sharing the Gospel. Did they believe more than we do? Was their faith stronger? What’s the difference?

I don’t believe there is any hopeless situation and certainly not, when the Lord is involved.

We are all individuals. There really is only one person who can make things right when things go wrong. Things do go wrong in life. We’ve seen things go terribly wrong in America and the Lord is only hope of changing things and making life better.

Pray and ask Jesus to show us how we can make a difference for His name in America today. “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” (Philippians 4:13 KJV)