www.mastershandsdeafchurch.org

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Deaf Devotion 1/29/2011

“The first time I was brought before the judge, no one came with me. Everyone abandoned me. May it not be counted against them. But the Lord stood with me and gave me strength so that I might preach the Good News in its entirety for all the Gentiles to hear. And he rescued me from certain death. Yes, and the Lord will deliver me from every evil attack and will bring me safely into his heavenly Kingdom. All glory to God forever and ever! Amen. (2 Timothy 4:16-18 NLT)

It is sad to say, but if we honestly examine ourselves, many of us have experienced times of abandonment just when we needed that other person the most. It could have been a spouse withdrawing emotionally, a co-worker who is ignoring us, or a close friend who seems to be too busy even to listen. The life of the apostle Paul teaches us how not to become discouraged in these situations.

As he writes these words, the Apostle Paul is in prison, charged with rebellion against the Roman Empire. He has spent almost 4 years in prison, 2 back in Israel, and nearly 2 more in Rome. He has already appeared in court at least once, & now the court is waiting for more evidence to arrive from his accusers. So he writes these letters to Timothy about the way God stands with Him no matter what and how this makes a difference in our lives.

Paul says that God gives us grace when we face life’s disappointments. And that grace is sufficient.

You know how we usually deal with the disappointments we experience? We get angry. We seek revenge. We wonder why God let’s things like this happen. But we also need to keep one thing in sight. God is God and He does love us and is interested wants the best for us. All of it, good and bad, works together to show HIM as mighty, as righteous, and as God.

Remember that the Lord is always with us. When we trust in Jesus as our personal Savior, we enter into a permanent relationship with Him, and His Spirit comes to live in us. Through the Holy Spirit, Jesus remains with us at all times, regardless of the circumstance. He is our friend—one who will never leave us. And His is the most important friendship we have. He promised in His Word to never leave or forsake us. Reading our Bible will help us to remember this.

We are invited again and again to draw on God's strength. Through the Holy Spirit, we have access to divine power every minute of the day. When we let go of control and depend on the Lord, we will be able to draw on His strength. Then, if family or friends cause hurt, His presence will provide comfort and help us to forgive them.

God gives us the strength to face whatever “life” throws at us. Look expectantly for God's deliverance. Paul testified that the Lord had rescued him and would continue to deliver him from every evil situation. He knew he could always trust God.

God has not promised us smooth sailing, or a free pass or even a “Get Out of Jail Free” card like in the game of Monopoly. What He did promise is a safe landing. He has a purpose in allowing every circumstance into our life, good AND bad.

“And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.” (Philippians 1:6 NLT)

Andrew Murray (1828-1917) was a South African writer, teacher, and Pastor. He once said, “God is willing to assume full responsibility for the life totally yielded to Him.” One of these days your destiny will be fulfilled. And soon and very soon, He is going to step down from the mountain of His glory, and the trumpet will sound. Our little ship will leave the sea of time and immediately we’ll be on the shores of eternity. When He comes, He’s coming for you! He’s coming for me!”

Can we say this morning: “Yes, I do love the Lord Jesus Christ with an enthusiastic love. I have a hunger to know His Word. My heart longs to please him, and it grieves me to think of disobeying His commands. My delight is to live for Him. Whatever he brings into my life I know he is using it to conform me to the image of Christ.”

If this describes any one of us then there is evidence that God has already begun a good work. I pray that each one of us can join the great Apostle Paul in saying, “What God started He will finish. He will stand with me and deliver me. When He decides, not me, He will bring me into HIS everlasting presence. All glory to God forever and ever! Amen.”