www.mastershandsdeafchurch.org

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Deaf Devotion 2/26/2011

“Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me. “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. (John 15:4-6 NLT)

I do want to add a personal note to thank Officer Paul Green of the Flint Township Police Department, one of my friends at Starbucks on Miller Road, who is retiring in exactly 74 minutes after 32 years of service. He is moving to Tennessee. Thank you for your service and God Bless You!

As usual, it has been a week of ups and downs. We all have days, weeks, and even months like this. Last Saturday morning as I was preparing to leave for Louisville, KY for a Deaf Pastor’s Prayer meeting, I opened an email that, well, shocked me. Knowing I could not keep this from my wife, I had to wake her up and tell her some news I knew was going to upset her as well. It is something we cannot talk about right now, but we ask your prayers for our family.

Then we left for Louisville and experienced a unity of prayer and spirit joining with other Deaf Pastors and leaders for worship and prayer. It was a wonderful experience. Thank you to Pastor Steve Dye and the family at SECC Deaf Church in Louisville.

We flew home Sunday only to have 11 inches of snow after we arrived home which prevented me from going to work on Monday. Then Tuesday through Friday were rough days each one in their own way.

Through it all, though, I just looked to my Heavenly Father and thanked Him for His unending grace, mercy and love that are poured out for each one of us. I thanked God for the honor of Him allowing me to Pastor a Deaf church and work with Deaf to spread the Gospel. I thanked Him for a loving wife, good children, and all that He provides for us. I thanked Him for friends and the fellowship of other Pastors and believers.

Above all, I thanked God for His Son. This is because if we are without Jesus Christ, we are nothing. Today's passage encourages us to stay connected to Jesus.

The image of Him as the vine and believers as the branches helps us understand that apart from Him, we can do nothing. It is possible to accept His salvation yet still act out of the "flesh," not able to focus or even separated from His direction and power. All believers find their focus wandering at times, but some have strayed so far that it's hard to see their way back.

If someone finds their heart focused on something besides Christ, it is very important to admit that this has happened. The Holy Spirit will help us identify which attitudes or activities are drawing us away from Jesus. Then He will draw us to repent and get whatever help is necessary to set aside interruption, insecurity, worldly desires, or anything else that draws our attention away from the Lord.

Once the distraction is gone, we can refocus on Jesus by reading the Word, praying, learning from biblical messages, and spending time with godly friends who will encourage us. Sometimes it can be hard to obey as the Lord desires but He promises to walk by our side to strengthen us and supply all our needs. “And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19 NLT)

Hebrews 12:1 urges us to give up whatever may be slowing us down and continue the obedience to God for His plan that He planned for us before He created the universe.

Don't delay. Recognize any area, sin, or stronghold that is keeping us from living passionately and fully for Christ. We cannot do this for another person. We can join them in prayer, but what another person does, is between them and God. Following His plan—with His strength—is the only way to peace, joy, and contentment in life. Ask for His help and commit to action.

So, the question becomes, “Where are you right now? Are you connected to the vine, feeling the life of God flowing through you as you remain in Him? Or are you disconnected, slowly dying, trying to stay in control of life and manage things in your own strength? Keep in mind that there are seasons of pruning, where even some parts that seemed to be growing are cut off so that other parts can be more fruitful. There are times in our lives where maybe we are not seeing the fruit, but we know we are remaining in the vine. If that describes you, remain. Paul would say, stand firm. Hold fast, keep the connection, continue to let Jesus’ words dwell in you, allow the gardener to prune, and cling to the promise that you will bear much fruit.